Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Opposites Attract

We have all heard the expression "opposites attract" and I am positive that I have the perfect example. Here's the rundown and when I'm done, you can tell me that I'm right.

Me: I'm a city girl to the bone. I grew up in a city that has the current population of 360,000 plus inhabitants. The noise, traffic, excess of people and absense of stars are all second nature to me. I have a family so big that I could give some members away and it wouldn't put a dent in the total count [ no one inparticular, of course ]. A kiss-your-grandparents-aunts-and-uncles-before-you-do-anything-else kind of family. I have never had a long standing, full-time job. Never really needed one, I guess. I'm currently a student. I study law and sociology in the hopes that a Criminal Justice degree will get me my desired job. I feel as though I am a hermit crab at times. Rarely, if ever, venturing outside of my familiar surroundings. My "O.C. Bubble" as I like to call it. I was born, raised and still live in my bubble. And although I dream about traveling the world, I am doubtful that it will ever happen for me. I'm a people pleaser. I have a tough time with the word "no" and if it's possible, I'll do whatever I'm asked to do without giving it a second thought. I like to spend, shop and spend some more. If I have a dollar in my pocket tonight, it won't be there tomorrow! I'm guilty of the spending itch. I'm 100% Mexican. Mind you, I was born in Southern California, so I'm not a circus-sounding-music-spilling-out-of-my-car-windows, leather-wearing-"chanclas", papaya-plant-in-my-front-yard kind of Mexican. I'm a Valley-speaking, popping-my-gum-as-I-twirl-my-hair, got-a-B-in-Spanish-class Mexican but nonetheless, a Mexican. =]

Joy: She grew up in a tiny, almost non-existant town. The current population of her hometown is a little over 1,600 people. Really? It's a joke if you ask me! The surrounding areas of her house are filled with trees and fields of grass not rows upon rows of houses. Now, her family size is something I can't fathom. If I were to give away one of her family members, they would send out the search party. She can't afford to loose any family! She is an accomplished, educated, always had a job, money making machine. While I'm still working on my AA, she has had her Masters Degree for years now. Jealous? Of course I am. Joy has experienced the sights and sounds of the world. She went to school in Scotland, took a volunteer trip to Africa and once took the back roads on a motorcycle trip to Niagra Falls. She didn't stay in her "bubble" as I have. She moved across the country and has never looked back. Joy isn't a pushover. She stands her ground and if she doesn't want to do something, simply says "no". I wish I could! She has the wonderful talent of saving her money. Another aspect of her personality that stirs up envy. Lastly, she's a White girl. A country-music-listening, apple-sauce-with-pork-chops full blown White girl. =]

So, there you have it. What did I tell you? Opposites attract? I'm going to have to agree.

- S.E.

1 comment: